Jun 27, 2012

Dating Sites& Good Works

Haha. But seriously.
I have come to find that I really enjoy blogging. It has been an awesome release and I have enjoyed doing it. I am not sure who reads my posts but it really isn't about that. This is for me. 

To start off I want to talk about: LDS dating sites...

Oh, boy! I am sure some of you are thrilled to hear about this one...haha. The reason why I brought this subject up is because I bounce back and forth on this subject. I hope with writing a little about it I can remember why I have always stopped trying the online thing. To be honest I find the online dating scene to be a little freaky. I have attempted to meet guys through dating sites and I have indeed connected with a lot of guys. Sadly, the majority of them have been disappointments. I have no idea why some of the guys are on an LDS dating site but don't really seem like they want to live the LDS standards. It is beyond me. If you choose to put yourself on a dating site that is especially for a specific religion it would only make sense that your values would be aligned with that religion. However, I have found out that this is not the case and luckily these guys are easy to spot and the Spirit has been a great guide to who has good intentions and who doesn't.

However, I have met a handful of guys that I have remained in contact with in one form or another. Some I have gone on dates with and others I have never met. I actually ran into one randomly on campus my first semester down here and that was a crazy! Mostly, I have just gotten to know a few guys that have great qualities but nothing has ever felt 100% right for me to pursue and that is okay. 

I think another reason why I have had a difficult time with dating sites is simply because of what my *Patriarchal Blessings says. Without going into detail it simply talks about how I will meet "my prince (perfect word for who I envision) in doing good works". This has always stuck in my mind. The more I think about it the more I feel like maybe "good works" isn't sifting through profiles on an internet site. 

This has sent me seeking an answer to the question: What are the "good works" that will lead me to my Prince? The place I decided to start looking is on another LDS site... lds.org to be exact. I figured this would be the best place to get an idea of what good works are. 

The first thing that caught my eye was under the *Personal Progress section. I don't know why it didn't cross my mind to look there first but either way I found the perfect resource. While reading through the Personal Progress booklet I felt inspired to complete the values required. Why not, right? So I will work on those and get back to you on what I learn. For now I will just cover what it says about good works. The scripture quoted is 3 Nephi 12:16 it reads:

"Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven." 

Service = Good Works. 

This is really best way that I can describe it. Charity is directly linked with doing good works. One of the best ways I can think of doing good works is through temple service. But really everything that is done with the right spirit and for a good purpose can be considered a work that is righteous and good. Therefore, if I am always making sure that I am keeping the Spirit of the Lord with me I can do good works and that is what will lead me to my Eternal Companion. Sounds easy enough, right? ;) I will get right on that...

Lastly, I just want to tell you about a book that I picked up at the bookstore today. I was walking through the bookstore after changing my major (I will need a whole new post for that one, maybe even tomorrow) when I spotted a book titled "Hope After Divorce". Now, lets be clear on this, I usually would NEVER give this book a second glance but for some reason I felt inspired to grab it. Maybe it was the pretty flower on the cover that caught my eye but I decided to give it a try. This book is a collections of essays from women who have found hope through the Atonement of Christ after going through a divorce (or several). I have cried myself through a few essays. Who knew so many women have felt the emotions I have? Normally, I would pick up a book like this because I have such a disconnect with my divorce. It feels so long ago, almost like it was another lifetime. The more I read these essays the more I felt that I had some more to learn from my divorce and the more I felt compelled to start writing my own experiences down. Maybe one day they can be of help to someone else going through a divorce. I think that I will challenge myself to do that. I rarely speak of my divorce to people other than family or close friends because of how personal in nature it is but I think this would be a good way to tell the story of how I got through it...not what lead up to the divorce or the details of it but rather how I have healed, grown and then thrived after such a difficult trial. 

I think that is it. I have given myself some homework to do. First, complete the requirements for Personal Progress virtue "Good Works", and second, work on writing my "divorce survival story". Should be interesting and I will keep you posted, whoever you are! =)
 Ps. Remembered why online dating isn't my thing.

For those that might not know: 
*A Patriarchal Blessing is a special blessing given to worthy members of the Church to be used as a guide in their personal life. Each one is unique and has promises that can be fulfilled by being faithful to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
*A Personal Progress is a booklet that Young Women (12-18) in the Church complete in order to receive their Young Women medallion). This is a great way for young women to learn about select values and find out more about themselves!

2 comments: