Jun 24, 2012

Labels&Updates

"Hey girl" is hilarious. This is for the moms
Here I am at 1am in the morning writing because I simply cannot sleep. There has been a lot on my mind and I really haven't blogged in a while. There is a lot I want to say but mostly I want to start out by writing about labels. Labels can drive me crazy...I don't think that you can or should define a person by a single phrase or word. One that I hear all the time about myself is "single mom". I have even included it on my blog. I have simply become used to being called a "single mom" and that is fine, I am indeed a mom that is single. But that really doesn't define who I am. I am so many other things. I am a hair stylist, a daughter, a best friend, a creator, an artist, a child of God, a woman, a giver, a homemaker, and much much more. I am many things. I guess it just simply gets to me when it comes to "the guy situation". And oh how I love this topic, not. Dating as a "single mother" is so difficult. It is even down right unpleasant at times but it is something that I have to do in order to find my Eternal Companion. If only God would just hit him on the head with a rock (maybe just a stick a rock might do some damage) and send him in my direction because clearly my Prince Charming has gotten a little lost. I have heard countless times that a guy has lost interest simply because of my "situation" and I can understand that to a degree. I mean come on I am not looking for an average Joe. I am looking for someone who can jump right into helping me take care of the most precious little boy (the very thought of that brings my eyes to tears). I am looking for someone who is extraordinary and understands what it takes to step in and help someone raise their greatest gift from Heavenly Father. Someone who can love Davian as their own and be a supporter, a friend, a comforter, an equal and much more to me. This is not an easy task and I understand that...but I just hope that out there are the guys who don't look at that label of "single mom" as a bad thing. Being a single mom has made me who I am today. I am strong because of this responsibility. I am who I am today because of the trials and blessings that come with raising a child without that constant support of a companion. I am single mom and I am proud of that. This is what the Lord had planned for me and I know some where down this road I will be able to be a comfort to another single mom who is struggling or feeling like there isn't anybody who quite understands how this loneliness feels. I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle, I might question that more than most on a rough day, but deep down I know how true that is. I am surviving and I dare say that I am doing well. I have so many blessings in my life right now and I know that my Heavenly Father has a special plan out there for me. He LOVES me. He is ALWAYS there for me to go to during this difficult time in my life. And that I can truly be thankful. I am thankful for the blessing of being a "single mom". I used to hate being called a "single mom" but it has become a badge that I wear with honor, as long as people realize that I am not just that but so much more.

That was a good little rant if I do say so myself. Now, it is time for some updates!

We like to go on dates =)
Davian: Davian is such a good boy. He has really tried hard to do the things that I ask and I am thankful that some of what I am teaching is sticking! We have been talking about how to be a gentlemen and how we are suppose to treat other people, especially girls. I WILL raise a man that knows how to treat a woman with respect. That has really become one of my main missions... haha. So, Davian is now opening my door. It may seem a little interesting to have a 4 years old be opening his mom's door but we are starting young! We are teaching this boy how to be a good man. He is so darn cute when he opens my door. It has really become a treat. Another thing we talk about is how every girl is pretty. He has even started letting the ladies know that they are pretty. Mostly, he tells me every single day that I am "pretty" and his "most favorite girl in the whole wide world universe" (pretty amazing, I know). This little guy just knows how to light up my day and melt my heart.

Dad&Davian
Davian has been doing well in school. We have some hiccups upon occasion. I think this comes especially from being an only child that doesn't have to share his stuff. He has been learning how to do this better and we haven't gotten any bad reports from school lately. He does have some AMAZING teachers though and that brings me comfort as I drop him of each day.

Davian's dad was able to visit this last weekend. It was pretty special for Davian. It had been about a year since his last visit and Davian was so happy to see his dad. He wanted dad to do everything with him. He wanted Dad to sit by him, talk to him, love him, play with him, and listen to him. I am thankful that the visit went well and Davian was able to make some memories with is dad!

Tami's Salon
Celebrating my new job at Wingers
Me: Well, what can I say? I have been a busy lady lately. I started a new job about two months ago and it has been great to be working in a salon again. I work at a salon in Rexburg named Tami's Salon. Tami Hymas is the owner and she is an amazing hair stylist herself. She is a platform artist for Onesta, which is really one of the highest honors as a hairstylist. In fact, being a platform artist is kind of the dream of a lot of hair stylist. If you don't know what a plat form artist is I will explain it for you! A Platform Artist is a Hairstylist who works primarily for trade shows and industry related shows. Basically those people who do seminars, or are up on the "platform" (hence why they're called that) teaching new tricks of the trade. I am so thankful to be working at this salon and from what I hear it is really the best fit for me in Rexburg! The thing I love the most is the atmosphere. Typically when you get a ton of girls working together there can be a lot of drama! This really isn't the case at Tami's. The girls that I work with are all wonderful and have really helped me feel at home in the salon. I was so nervous from going from Bridge Street where it was just me and Karmin (who is basically a sister and mentor to me) to a larger group of girls. I think what helps this salon be drama free is that we are all faithful members of the Church and we have good standards. We do our best to be our best. I have really loved that. I have always enjoyed our weekly education. Every Tuesday we have a required education class for an hour. This is great! I crave to learn new things and while some of the education is familiar I always have a new insight on even the most basic things. I think that education is a big key on being successful and growing and I have the opportunity to do that at Tami's. I don't know how long I will be in Rexburg or at the salon but I have no intentions on leaving anytime soon =)

Emma Roth my beautiful model
School: I am "off track" this semester at BYUI. For those of you who don't know, BYUI runs on a three track system. You are assigned two tracks out of the three and my track is the Fall/Winter. I will have had a total of five months off, which is great! I have decided to pursue my AA degree and not go any further at this point. I am sure my parents are sick of hearing the millions of plans I have in my head on any given day... I just feel like this is the best option for be and I have really learned that I love doing hair. I missed it when I was away for that short time and it really makes me feel good. In fact, I have found a new passion of mine: Makeup. I have always loved trying new makeup on myself and exploring different tricks of application. I since found the desire to become more of a makeup artist and do bridal or photo shoot makeup! This all started when that salon did a photo shoot (which we do nearly every month). The theme was Avant Garde which is basically doing something out of the box, unorthodox, daring or radical. I choose to do a doll theme and had so much fun putting it all together and seeing my ideas come to life. I had an amazing model, Emma Roth, to help me out and she did AMAZING! Since I have discovered this passion I have decided that I want more education in the makeup industry. I hope to attend a makeup artist program through Avalon (http://www.avalon.edu/makeup-artistry/) in Layton, Utah for two weeks. Here I can expand my knowledge and grow as a makeup artist. Not to mention it is a MAC school. And for anyone who knows makeup they know that MAC is the leader of professional makeup. This would be an awesome opportunity. I simply need to save so I can attend =) So, there you go... My next adventure in my crazy life! 
At one of my dates
Dating: Okay, I don't think I have really ever talked much about dating but why not? I know so many of you are rooting for me and want me to end up happy so I might as well let you know how it is going. Obviously, it's not going that great because I don't have a boyfriend but oh well! I have had a lot more dates lately though. It has been great. I am doing what I have been wanting to do and should have done when I was younger... I am testing the waters. I am seeing what is out there. Sometimes it can be really discouraging but mostly it is fun to get out and do something for a few hours! I have been out to dinner, played games, hit golf balls, bowling, and shooting within the last few months and I have really enjoyed and learned more about myself and what I want. Mostly, I have gotten the experience that I have been practically begging Heavenly Father to give me! 
Cut my hair earlier this summer 
Well, I think that pretty much sums it up! Hopefully, I can be more diligent with my blogging but lets be honest, I doubt that will happen ;) 


Oh btw, there was a really great talk that was written just for me last Conference. It was EXACTLY what I needed to hear and something that I read often to bring comfort. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/faith-fortitude-fulfillment-a-message-to-single-parents?lang=eng&query=single+mom

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Thanks for sharing yourself with us. You are a tremendous inspiration to so many who find that each of us can be "singled out" in a myriad of different ways - the newcomer, the less athletic, the convert or investigator, etc. I've learned courage always comes with a companion. That "label" of single might be yours but it is evident that you are not wlking alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words! I am certainly not alone, none of us are ever really alone =)

    ReplyDelete