Jun 26, 2012

How Can I Become the Woman of Whom I Dream?

 It's another sleepless night and I have nothing else to do but blog! Yay, that's two blog posts in one week? I am on a roll...

I just finished re-reading a talk titled "How Can I become the Woman of Whom I Dream?". It was given the beloved President Gordon B. Hinckley. President Hinckley is one of my favorite prophets. Oh, how I miss him. His words are always so powerful and speak right to the soul. I especially loved this message to young women and how we can become our very best. This talk gave me a little pick me up and some things to ponder. I have collected a few quotes from his talk that I feel are really important.

President Hinckley stressed moral cleanliness. More and more it seems like this isn't as important in the world as it should be. Don't people understand the lasting scars from promiscuity? Being virtuous isn't always easy but it certainly always worth it, "for immorality will blight your life and leave a scar that will never entirely leave you". 

"You have within you instincts, powerful and terribly persuasive, urging you at times to let go and experience a little fling. You must not do it. You cannot do it. You are daughters of God with tremendous potential. He has great expectations concerning you, as do others. You cannot let down for a minute. You cannot give in to an impulse. There must be discipline, strong and unbending. Flee from temptation, as Joseph fled from the wiles of Potiphar’s wife." 

If there is something that I have learned from the last 10 years or so of my life it is that sometimes we just have to flee. Temptation is very real and sometimes the best way to avoid it is to run from it. Get as far away from temptation as we possibly can. Sometimes it can be difficult but the Lord is ALWAYS with us and will guide us and tell us where we need to be.

"There is nothing in all this world as magnificent as virtue. It glows without tarnish. It is precious and beautiful. It is above price. It cannot be bought or sold. It is the fruit of self-mastery." 

This was one of my favorite quotes from his talk. Virtue cannot be bought or sold. How true is that? Self-mastery is the key to so many things in our life and being a virtuous woman is something that can bring great blessings.

"In this day and time, a girl needs an education. She needs the means and skills by which to earn a living should she find herself in a situation where it becomes necessary to do so." 

Get an education! I feel very strongly about this. Education is important. You really don't know what situation you might be in when you are the one that has to provide for your family, like being a single mom ;). I remember when I felt the need to go back to school. It is a constant worry to think about being the "bread winner" and all the responsibilities that I carry alone. There is one thing that I have always tried to stay true to and that is doing what I love. A career is important and I believe that doing what you love will make all the difference in your life.

And my most favorite quote from this talk: 

"You can be excellent in every way. You can be first class. There is no need for you to be a scrub. Respect yourself. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Do not dwell on unkind things others may say about you. Particularly, pay no attention to what some boy might say to demean you. He is no better than you. In fact, he has already belittled himself by his actions. Polish and refine whatever talents the Lord has given you. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life and look for its opportunities, and forever and always be loyal to the Church." 

Oh, I always need a good reminder not to listen to guys that think they have a right to demean a girl. They are never right, ever. I wish I could make so many young girls understand this. I know I needed to understand it when I was younger.

And lastly, 

 "You are creatures of divinity; you are daughters of the Almighty. Limitless is your potential. Magnificent is your future, if you will take control of it. Do not let your lives drift in a fruitless and worthless manner."

I am so thankful that I took the time to read this talk again. The message is powerful each time that I read it and it makes me think about the woman that I dream of being. Mostly, I dream of being successful in all that I do. In my church callings and in my career. I dream of being a good mother and teach my children of the importance of the Gospel and the blessings that come when one chooses to be faithful. I dream to one day be a wife, an equal, and a best friend to a loving man who honors his Priesthood. I dream of returning to my Heavenly Father and being able to say that I remained faithful. I have so many dreams and I know that they can be achieved with the help of my Heavenly Father and the strength that comes when we believe and choose to pattern our life after his son, Jesus Christ. I hope that each of us can live up to our potential. Especially, as women. We have a divine calling here on this earth. May we always be a positive influence on the world and especially in our own homes. 

Here is a link to the talk: 

No comments:

Post a Comment